Monday, March 26, 2012

Lazy Leuven Weekend

Although a bit late to the "spring has sprung" party, Belgium decided to get its act together and sported the trifecta this weekend: warm(ish) temperatures, sun and zero precipitation. Amazing! Seeing as how we had little that "HAD" to be done, we made the most of all the pleasantness with two days of picnics, 'terrasking' and relaxing.

Saturday we left the house at the crack of 2pm (Babycakes slept on and off all morning so we did too) and hit up the shops in Leuven. First, we stopped at "Elsen Kaasambacht" for a a few pieces of cheese. According to one of our friends, this place is famous around Belgium for its fine cheeses. I don't know whether that's true or not, but I can vouch for it having a large selection and really helpful staff. Since I barely know the difference between parmesan and gouda, I genuinely appreciate being able to ask the staff for help without feeling like a bother. Usually, I just describe the type of cheese I'm looking for in broad terms - "creamy and bold" or "like blue cheese but lighter" - and they'll give me samples until I hit on just the right one. Which is pretty great. Until you end up at the checkout with 30 euros of cheese because all of the samples were amazing...


Elsen Kaasambacht (Source: Telegraph)

We picked up some fresh bread at Elsen to go with our two slices of 'sharp and hard' cheese (just two! I was so good!) and then mosied on over to the little grocery store for some juice and beer (what's a picnic without refreshments?). From there we checked out the other Saturday market stalls for jam, nuts and apples and, by the time we made it to the park, discovered that we had assembled a mini feast for ourselves. Fortunately, a friend joined us so we weren't tempted to eat everything on our own and the next hour or two were spent hanging out and people watching while Babycakes napped in her stroller. A lovely time was had by all... (until Babycakes woke up and decided she needed a change of scenery. And a bottle. pronto)


On the left: Babycakes enjoying the picnic.
On the right: (Hopefully) a future version of us
 After all the excitement of Saturday (after our exhausting picnic, we had a few drinks with friends at our place. Lou hung out with them until 1:30am or so but baby and I were asleep by 10:30), we decided to take it easy on Sunday. I did some cleaning and then took a nap with the baby while Lou did some "terrasking" (sitting on a terrace in the sun) with friends in the Oude Markt.


A view of the Oude Markt from Lou's "terrasking" spot

Meanwhile, Babycakes and I took a nap. I totally won the 'best way to spend the afternoon' contest.
Now, lest you think I spent the whole weekend eating or napping, please note that I did get crazy Sunday night. At the just-past-senior-citizens-dinner-hour of 6:30, I met up with my friend Devan for some Greek food followed by an 8:15pm showing of the Hunger Games! I was out til almost 11pm! On a work night! Who says things get lame when you have kids?

Anyways, that was our lazy - yet perfect - Leuven weekend. Hope yours was equally enjoyable!

No comments: