Monday, March 05, 2012

How did we get here?

It's the eve of our return to Belgium and, as I type, I can't help but be distracted by the 11 or so pound chubby cheeked wonder lying on my chest. She's making these soft cooing noises (I say "coos" but the less enlightened might say "grunts.") and as I watch her chest rise and fall I find myself befuddled as to how we got to this point.

How is it March? How have we been Home for 14 weeks? How is it already time to go back to that other place that has come to feel like home? How are we the parents of a 7 week old?

How did we get here?

Where is here? Well, let me just spell out the highlights of the past 14 weeks:

- Lou flew back to the U.S. for work on October 24th and traveled to Chicago, Indiana, Austin, Tampa, Columbus, Ann Arbor and Cleveland before meeting me in Pittsburgh on November 20th.  From there he traveled pretty much nonstop between Ann Arbor, Cleveland and Pittsburgh until Christmas. Long story short, poor guy lived out of a suitcase for 2 months straight. (While he was doing all of this crazy travelling, I set up camp at home in Pittsburgh and mostly stayed put for the duration of our time in the U.S. Being the mommy has its perks...)

- For the first time in 4 years we spent Thanksgiving on American soil. Cranberry Twp., PA & Cleveland, OH soil to be exact. It was wonderful. Not that our Thanksgiving dinners at the American Club in Brussels or last year's feast at McDonalds weren't lovely, but, there is no substitute for family. Or proper pumpkin pie and cranberry sauce (as opposed to cranberry jello).

Thanksgiving at the Keppler's in Cleveland (we also had Thanskgiving with my whole family in Pittsburgh but failed to document the occasion because we are awesome like that...).
- I went to approx. 47 appointments with my U.S. obstetricians. Although the process got old after awhile and I couldn't help but scream "Just get here already!" at the baby bump from time to time, it all went well. All of the doctors in the practice were amazing.  Just amazing. They were friendly, patient with my questions and, most importantly, fluent in English.

- We spent Christmas Eve and Christmas morning in Pittsburgh and then Lou drove to Cleveland for Christmas Day festivities while I stayed with my family for the day (first time that has happened in 5 years!). Why the separation? Welp. The docs had us in full on 'baby watch.' At my appointment on Dec. 15th, the doctor said I was 85% effaced and 2cm dilated. Which she interpreted as sure signs I would go into labor ahead of my Jan. 8th due date and should stay close to the hospital. Since Cleveland was a good 2 hour drive from my docs, I had no choice but to stay home. Although it was odd to be away from Lou, it was wonderful to just relax with Kels and my parents for the whole day. We saw the return of the Christmas afternoon nap and the nice steak dinner. Will have to find a way to reinstate them for future Christmases...

Jordan (aka the BEST part of Christmas morning) and I opening her present from me (a Dora Mega Block set)

- Despite having our hospital bags packed and never venturing further than a 30 mile radius of Magee Women's Hospital, New Year's Eve arrived and the baby was still very much content where she was. As such, we abandoned any hopes of a tax break for 2011 and rang in the New Year with Kelsalump and her friends. Although I was the lamest party attendant ever (I spent most of the night sitting on her couch watching tv and drinking V8 splash), fun times were had by all.

The hostess and I celebrating 2012


No comments: