Thursday, March 22, 2012

La Creche aka Kinderopvgang aka Daycare

Now that I am back at work we are slowly settling into a routine. It's only been two weeks and I don't think we've done the same thing more than 2 days in a row, but whatever, we are making an effort.

An integral part of this tenuous new routine is "la creche." (Also known as a "Kinderopvgang" in Dutch or "Daycare" in American.) Babycakes' creche is a warm, wonderful little place run by a caring woman named Catherine. I've seen her with the kids in her charge first thing in the morning, mid-afternoon and late at night, and, regardless of the time of day, she seems to genuinely care about all of them. Even the sticky, snotty ones. Suffice to say we are thrilled with the place and consider ourselves pretty lucky to have snagged a spot.


First sign that the place was filled with professionals - they got her to sleep in a crib! A CRIB!
(note: this is remarkable b/c I can only get her to sleep in her car seat, bouncy chair or my arms...)
Speaking of 'spots' and creches, I don't think I ever told the story of our search for one. Like everything we do that is even a little bit important, it was a disaster from the start and deserves documentation here. (If only for the chance to put it in the"Annoying Things We Did For You" file and guilt-trip Babycakes in the future...)

So. Babies. Creches. Where to start? Well. When we first discovered we were pregnant (circa April of last year), we knew we would need daycare eventually, but it was more of a fleeting thought than an item for the immediate "to-do" list. Much higher on the list were items such as "figure out where you are having the baby" and "wrap your head around the idea of having a baby." What to do with said baby just wasn't a priority.

Enter June. We announced the pregnancy to the world at large and, amongst our Belgian friends, the very first question asked was, "Which creche will the baby go to?"

"Erm. Do you mean, 'Is the baby going to go to a creche?'"

"No. Which one. Surely you already have a spot?"

"Erm. No."

Cue look of horror. And pity.

You see, the universally known (except by us)  fact of life in Leuven is that creche spots fill up like woah. In fact, most couples put themselves on waiting lists when they first start trying to have children.

So, as per usual, we were way behind. I reacted to this news by contacting the creches in Leuven that were nearest our apartment. Not only were they full when we anticipated needing childcare (March 2012), but they couldn't guarantee an opening in 2012. Not one. For 18 months from the date of my inquiry. Not one freaking spot!

For obvious reasons, this stressed me out. While other pregnant women were nesting, I was busy calling and emailing every daycare on the Leuven child care site. Waitlisted. Times 48. (And that's not an exaggeration. When I was really nervous I would count them...) The earliest spot available would be September 2012. Better than 2013, but still not helpful considering I needed to go back to work in March.

So, I stressed some more. And expanded my search. I contacted all of the creches within a 20 minute drive of my work. Again with the waitlists. Except this time half of them were in French instead of Dutch.

Just as I was starting to really panic and consider looking into a private nanny (who might have cost more per month than I made...), we finally got some good news. On August 23rd, after nearly 3 months of nonstop searching, we received an email saying, "yes, we have availability for March." I all but ran to the place at that moment to reserve the spot, but then it hit me...

Why does this place have an opening? Is there something wrong with it?

If every place in the whole country was filled for the next year, why did this place have an opening at precisely the time we need one? We were torn between utter relief and guilt. Guilt that we would be forced to put our future baby in a place SO terrible it's waiting list was only 6 months long.

We were idiots. (though, in our defense, I'm starting to believe that's just another word for first-time parents...)

We visited the creche after work and could not have been more pleased. In our opinion, its highlights included:
- The facility isn't super large, but it's very well maintained with bright, hand painted murals covering the walls.
- They serve warm, homemade meals for lunch every day (for children that are eating solid foods)
- They let you bring in bottles for babies (something that not all creches do that is ideal if you are breastfeeding)
- Of the four employees, three have nursing degrees
- They provide unlimited diapers for just 20 euros per month (a very good deal in Belgium)

Most of all it was just a really warm place. It's obviously no substitute for staying at grandma's house, but, since the transport costs with that were a bit prohibitive, it really is the next best thing.

Babycakes went 3 days last week and every day this week and I've been very pleased with the whole thing. When I drop her off in the morning, she is like a rockstar. The ladies that work there scream "Aria!! Arrrriiiiia" and rush to hold her. When I pick her up in the evening, Catherine tells me about the number of times she smiled at her (3 the first day, a dozen yesterday) and whose arms she fell asleep in for her afternoon nap.

I know I'm supposed to feel overwhelming "mommy guilt" for leaving her and going to work, but it's just going so well I haven't gotten around to it. She is entertained and held and fussed over and cared for and... at this age... I think that is all that matters. In the meantime, I am able to contribute to putting a roof over her head and clothes on her chubby little body.  Ah well. Should we ever settle into a proper routine, perhaps I will work some "mommy guilt" into that...


You mean you aren't going to stay home and play with me all day?? My shirt says you love me. Don't you love me??




Meh. I'm over it. Now let me go back to sleep.











No comments: