Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"S" is for Sprinkles

Hello! Happy Wednesday!


In case you are curious, Paris was lovely (as it so often is) and Devan and I had a wonderful time bopping about. Although BF thought we did a terrible job as visitors to the capital city, it was a perfect getaway as I maintain there is nothing wrong with doing the following while in Paris:


- Having GOOD pizza instead of really bad French food


- Enjoying a hot dog in a baguette from a vendor rather than a 16 Euro club sandwich at LaDuree


- Spending an hour strolling through antique shops and coming away nothing but a bunch of pictures


- Purchasing macarons from Laduree and then eating them with a Starbucks chai latte that tastes like home


- Prancing about the (free portion) of the Chateau de Vincennes


Perhaps individually they are not so noteworthy, but done in quick succesion they make for a relaxing and fun agenda.


So. Those are my thoughts on a free day in Paris. But there was something else I was supposed to share... I wrote an "S" on my hand to remind myself. Because I am awesome like that. Heck if I know what it stands for now. Oh! I know! "S" is for Sprinkles! AND the other fun little things I learned while in Austria.


I suppose I'll share them now in order of deliciousness...


1. CHOCOLATE SPRINKLES FOR BREAKFAST

Remember when I mentioned that the shopping list for our trip included chocolate sprinkles? Turns out they were not for cupcake topping. No. They were for breakfast. On top of bread. And butter.


Don't believe me? I have proof:

Photobucket Breakfast of [Belgian] Champions: white bread with butter and dark chocolate sprinkles!

Everyone laughed at mine & BF's shocked faces as they feasted on this delicious dessert-masquerading-as-breakfast plate. And then we laughed at their shocked faces when we opened up the jar of Skippy peanut butter we brought (found at an Asian supermarket in Maastricht... because that makes sense) and had it on toast with bananas or on apples. They thought we were nuts! Especially when we packed lunch for the day and made PB&J sandwiches. "Peanut butter and Jelly?? That is so weird!"


Photobucket Apples and peanut butter? Crazy!


2. SOCKS


At some point during the week, I was alerted to the fact that BF and I were - constantly - committing a serious fashion faux pas. By wearing white socks. The wearing of socks was fine. But the fact that they were white? Oh heavens no!


Turns out (in Belgium) they are to be worn ONLY while working out and even then it is preferred that women wear white socks with colorful accents to the gym. BF and I, obviously, only own white socks and everyone now and then they would giggle at this. Also. Even if the hottest Belgian boy in the whole world approaches you, you are to turn him down if he's wearing white socks. I found this ridiculous.


3. SALZBURG


... is an easy two hour drive from Wald-im-Pinzgau. Should the weather be bad or you need a break from skiing.


The weather was great and BF and I needed no sort of break so we skied while our friends went on a city trip to Salzburg. Their pictures were lovely and they had a wonderful time. I got a great purple and blue bruise on my leg and had a delicious Spaetzle noodle soup while on the slopes. I think we had a wonderful-er time :)


4. MARCH MADNESS


Seeing as how we're already at the final four, this portion is a bit late, but whatever. I was still shocked when I learned that our friends had never heard of March madness. They had NO IDEA what it was. None! Poor things. Whether they liked it or not, we decided they would learn what all the fuss was about as we had the evening free the first day of the tournament. I think the introductory session went pretty well but after watching Lou & I work on our brackets and then be subjected to 5 hours of March Madness on Demand on 2 laptops and 2 iPads, they asked a number of incredible questions, including but not limited to the following:


"So. What is the point? They play just so that YOU can make the bracket?"


"How do you get a touchdown?"


"What if Pitt scores less points in the game but has a better bracket than the other team? Do they still lose the game?"


I'm thinking we might have to do a refresher session next year...

No comments: